Friday, March 22, 2013

Finding your heart rate max and tracking calories burned

Hey!! 

This post will be about some things out there that will help keep you on track/knowledgeable about how many calories you are burning during your workout!
You want to burn about 500 calories a day to lose 1 pound a week.
3,500 calories equal 1 pound of fat.
3,500/ 7 days = 500 calories a day!

Cardio is a great fat burner because it gets your large muscle groups moving which helps you continue to burn more calories throughout the day!  Plus it's great for your heart!

Ideally, you want your resting heart rate to be low, around 70-80 beats per minute but not higher than 100 beats per minute.  The more BPM, the harder your heart is working to pump blood and oxygen to your muscles, which is okay during exercise because you are working harder but while resting that should not be the case.  The quicker your heart rate comes back down (recovers) to your normal resting heart rate after exercise shows how fit you are.  The longer it takes shows how unfit you are.  The time should range 2-3 minutes (this varies depending on who you talk to).


To improve cardiovascular, or aerobic, fitness you need to strengthen the heart and its ability to deliver oxygen to working muscles.

To find your max heart rate, subtract your age from 220 then multiply that number by the percentage that applies to you from below:

- Someone that is sedentary and new to exercise, should work between 55 and 65 % of their max heart rate to improve their cardiovascular fitness.
- More conditioned people find an improvement in their cardiovascular fitness when working between 65 and 80 % of their max heart rate.  The fat burning zone refers to a HR working range in which a greater percentage of calories burned come from fat stores. This benefit occurs in the lower end of the cardio zone--about 55 to 70 % of maximum (Taken from Livestrong).

Working in either zone, aerobic or fat burning WILL improve your overall fitness and burn calories.  The theory behind working in the fat burning zone is that you burn more overall fat calories and, thus, encourage fat loss. However, if you have a limited amount of time to exercise and want to lose weight---your goal should be to burn as many calories as possible. When you exercise at a lower intensity, you may burn a greater percentage of fat calories, but less total calories. When you exercise in a cardio zone, you burn a lower percentage of fat calories, but more total calories and, as a result, just as much total fat. (Taken from Livestrong)




I personally use a heart rate monitor (which will find your HR max for you), a Polar FT40 to be exact! I got it off Amazon, ordered it on a Thursday and was delivered by Monday AND I paid for normal shipping... pretty awesome!  But I will say one thing about my HR monitor, it was over priced!  I mainly got this model because it said that it could sync a graph to your computer so you can see your progress.. it left out the part that you have to buy an attachment to do this! LAME!  
I do know a few people who use the Polar FT7  (you can buy it here Polar FT7 on Amazon) and I wish I got that one.  It tells you what you really need to know, calories burned, what zone you're in (fat burn, training, fitness) and it's MUCH cheaper!  It does come with a chest strap, that you were right under your breast bone, which is what you want with a HR monitor, so it can get a more accurate reading, also the strap is very comfortable!

Found this image off Google.. they have 3 other colors for FT7


I chose this brand because it was recommended by many, it was also the brand that we used in my exercise science labs, AND I love that most cardio equipment in gyms sync with Polar HR monitors (so you can see your HR on the machine without having to grip the HR reader)!! SO I feel like this is a win all the way around!  Plus I really like knowing how much I am burning, because this is a million times more accurate than what the machine is telling you, since it does it based off of your HR and personal information!



Another thing I used before I got a HR monitor (and still use) was the Nike+ sensor.  It's a little insert about the size of a quarter that goes in the left shoe of Nike's under the sole.  You sync it with the Nike+ app on your iPhone/iPod (comes with the iPhone/iPod, how cool is that?!)
Found this off Google too
The setup is very easy, just open the app, type in your personal info, then it asks you to walk around to figure out your strides.  I like to use it when I run outside so I know how far I'm running.  I also do not run in Nike's.. I bought this attachment to hold the sensor on my Brooks and it's awesome!  You can buy the sensor here at Dick's... it only cost $20!

Runaway



Another device that one of my friends use is the Up band by Jawbone.   It tracks your sleep, 24/7 activity, and food & drink.  It costs $129.00 but you can plug it straight into your smartphone and it syncs it automatically.  You track your food with, (what I'm assuming) an app that comes with the device or maybe you download it.  The whole idea of it is that you wear it 24/7 and it has a 10 day battery life... pretty cool!!  It also tells you when you've been idle for too long so you know when you should move more.

yeah.. found the image off Google


So those are really the only few things out there that I am aware of that really help keep you motivated and are accurate!  I'll keep you posted with any new information I stumble upon

No comments:

Post a Comment